Wednesday, April 25, 2007

These pipes are clean!

Ah, the terminally mundane. I finally got my kitchen sink clog taken care of. It was only four days of sewage smells and heading my kids off at the pass before they decided to "help" me do dishes.

I tried to fix it myself. On Sunday morning, I totally dismantled the pipes under the kitchen sink, then put them back together, discovered I'd done nothing about the clog, dismantled it again, and got out my trusty drain snake.

*Important safety tip to any home owner: buy one drain snake plus a plunger for every bathroom. A little quick thinking will save you hundreds in plumbers and carpet replacement. Well, yeah, you can make an insurance claim, but you've still got those sewage smells going on...

But I digress.

My trusty drain snake wasn't long enough. Now I know how Napoleon felt. I gave up and called the plumber.

I liked this plumber. He didn't question me. I told him to change the works in one of the toilets, and even though it could have been rigged to work correctly, he did what I told him to. Because I didn't want to call him a year from now and have him do the same job all over again. When I told him that the kitchen sink clog was not under the sink and was much further along the pipe, he didn't re-do what I'd done on Sunday; he just cleared the drain from the outside access. Which I didn't know about until today.

So, two plumbing jobs done for one hour's labor. Efficient and effective.

You know how we housewives love to have our pipes cleaned.

No comments: