Monday, April 9, 2007

She should have tried to sell me double glazing while she was at it

One time I was at the doctor's office, waiting for my name to be called. There were several other people in the waiting room. I was listening very closely for my name, like waiting for the checkered flag at Talladega. The desk lady called something, then called it again, and I checked out the rest of the room to see if someone had fainted or something and couldn't answer; no one fit the bill. Then the desk lady called my last name in a really annoyed voice and I went on up. This is what followed:

Desk lady: I was calling your name!

Me: I didn't hear my name.

DL: I called it a bunch of times!

Me: Did you call my first name or last name?

DL: And you just sat there!

Me: What did you say? Were you calling my first name?

DL: (Glare and silence)

Me: How were you pronouncing it? Because I didn't hear anyone call my first name.

DL: (More intense glare and a wolfish glaring of teeth)

Me: Wait, you were calling something like "Jah-NEE-kah." My name is Janice. Is that what you were trying to say? How was I supposed to know that was supposed to be my name when you mispronounce it like that?

DL: I CALLED YOUR NAME!

Me: No, you called some other name and expected me to answer.

Nurse who could read and also negotiate well: Ms. BeerPup? If you'll just come back here please...

Then they gave me a shot of Imitrex for my migraine and told me I probably had salmonella. It wasn't the best of days.
The woman was out of a job three days later, unfortunately not due to rudeness or incompetency, but even so, some people get what they deserve.

Bitch.

2 comments:

Amy Ruiz Fritz said...

That is classic!

I'll bet she pronounces fragile like "Fra-geel-ay".

Rank and File said...

People these days!!! When did people get so dumb?! I want the world to go back to the 80's. Everything was much simpler then.