Friday, November 23, 2007

Another re-post from NRWP

This evening, for some reason, I thought I might need this. I wrote it in 2004:

Getting very drunk three days in a row is bad for the BeerPup. Therefore I thought it appropriate to present the various hangover cures I have tried over the years.

The best one I ever found is now illegal: Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold Medicine, original formula. Not "original flavor" as the product currently on the market claims. It used to contain phenylpropanolamine, which caused strokes in a small percentage of the population the first time they took it. However, if it didn't cause a stroke the first time, it probably wouldn't ever. So I don't know why they didn't just take it off the market for new users and let the rest of us keep using the stuff. It took care of pain, nausea, stuffy nose, and let you get a nice nap in, besides. Damn FDA, taking my favorite medicine away.

Sobazone: I've never tried this one since it's not available in the US, but my favorite actor is said to import it from his adopted home country of Australia for the parties he organizes for the crews of the movies he's in. If anyone would like to send me some so I can test it, that would be wonderful.

Sex: Weird but true. The more, the better.

Pot: Not only good for a hangover, it once helped me get over bronchitis. I know that makes no sense, but I was coughing so much I'd toss my cookies and then I didn't have the strength left to heal, so I just kept coughing and tossing my cookies. Then I got stoned and was able to eat and keep it down, and it made all the difference.

Chaser: Doesn't really work unless you don't drink a whole lot, and you have to keep taking it every few drinks. Don't bother.

Old standbys: Pedialyte, tons and tons of water, eat a huge meal before you go to bed, they all usually work if you remember to do them.

I don't recommend Excedrin because it can make your stomach bleed, which will make you nauseous and possibly vomit, which can tear the lining of your stomach and will send you to the emergency room at 7:00am in Coon Rapids, Minnesota.

Coca-Cola: It contains caramel, which settles the stomach. Whatever painkiller you take, take it with a Coke.

Then there's the recommendation that comes from The Pursuit of Happiness, the Canadian band with a sense of humor: "One more coffee, three more asprin, two more vitamin E. Much regret now, that the morning's crashing down on me."

But that was yesterday; I feel great today. Anyone want a homebrew?

No comments: