Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Subject, Object

There's this thing that bugs me. I don't read the paper versions of newspapers (The Dave won't let me buy them) but I read them online, several times a day.

I'm tired sound-byte headlines with a stupid picture next to them. For instance, "Doctors say standing is not better for varicose vein sufferers than sitting," and there will be a picture of a chair next to it--as if we didn't know they were talking about "chair" sitting as opposed to "couch" sitting, or even "criss-cross-applesause" sitting.

I've noticed that it only goes so far. "Teen pregnancy rate up!" will have a picture of a pregnant belly next to it. Oh, and anything at all to do with self-breast exams? Boy to news sites love that! A legitimate excuse to have a picture of a naked woman feeling herself up! Perverts.

But do they ever show a discreet, naked ass when the headline references colon cancer? Or even a rubber glove when talking about having one's prostate checked? Hell, no!

That would be WAY too close to real life for these people.

No comments: