Thursday, October 2, 2008

Four months

Today is the 4 month anniversary of my quitting smoking.

To answer the questions some of you ask and some of you don't dare ask: NO. I haven't had a cigarette. Not a one. I've wanted one badly, many times, but I get over the craving rather quickly. Then I breathe deeply because I can.

Don't worry, smokers. I still love you! And I won't tell you to quit. I know you're not stupid and you have all the same info I had, so I will not bring it up unless you bring it up. Plus I'm jealous of you because you still have cigarettes and I don't.

For the record, it's still a mystery to me as to why I woke up one morning and thought, "Today I'm gonna quit smoking." It really was as out of the blue as that. I wish I could explain it. Hell, I wish I could bottle that and sell it; I'd be rich.

But once again, for people who find this post by searching "quitting smoking" or something similar, Here's how I did it:

1) Wellbutrin. It's an antidepressant, but it was first developed because it suppresses nicotine craving. In my case, though, I was already on it because I'm nutso. I can't prove this clinically, but I'm pretty sure being on Wellbutrin for a long time before I attempted to quit smoking was the reason it was relatively easy for my to quit. Just sayin'.

2) Nicoderm. I didn't use the gum because I'm not supposed to chew gum.

3) Totally removing my smoking spot in the garage. I didn't throw out the folding chair but I put it in a closet, and threw everything else away.

4) Lemon drops for the oral fixation. Strangely, I had trouble finding lemon drops, but they had them at the Target in the next town over, with the Jelly Belly buy-in-bulk bins.

5) Support from family and friends. I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks, everyone!

1 comment:

Rank and File said...

I quit cold turkey. Haven't smoked since October 1989.