Thursday, April 17, 2008

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors

I just learned that Dubya is moving to Dallas after his term ends.

Damn. I hope he doesn't move near me.

The few times I dealt with Secret Service measures, it sucked. For everyone else; not for me. President Clinton came to town for a Democratic fundraiser, and he landed at Dallas Love Field, went down the tollway to wherever he was going--Irving, or something (so why the fuck didn't he just land at DFW?)--and back again.

I had just left work in downtown Dallas and gotten on the tollway when I noticed an overabundance of police cars. And an absence of people behind me. Way, WAY back, I thought I saw some black cars. There was a sqaud car blocking every on-ramp from downtown all the way home.

The radio traffic report kept saying: "The tollway is being shut down for an injury accident. Now on to the news: President Clinton just landed at Love Field and is en route to Irving for a fundraiser."

I just kept traveling with the lucky commuters who had gotten on the tollway with me. Strangely--oh, maybe not--the police in the area were NOT concerned with stopping anyone for speeding, and the drive was remarkably light since they stopped all on-ramps at the same time...and the tollway became exit-only.

It's the only time in my life I drove 80 MPH past a cop and didn't worry about a ticket.

I've never EVER driven from downtown Dallas to home that fast.

Thanks, Bill!

No comments: