Saturday, December 22, 2007

From 28 May 2004: They're real and they're magnificent

I just got Lasik. Ouch. People who say it doesn't hurt? They lied. I'm okay now, plus I can see leaves on trees for the first time in...well, this is the first time I can see leaves on Texas trees. (I never wore my glasses outside.)

So Lasik is really cool and I'd recommend it.

Getting the procedure reminded me of this post from 2004:


It's Friday afternoon before a long weekend, almost 3pm, and I just cracked my first beer. I'm running a little behind.

Gosh, I just won a lifetime supply of saline solution and I don't wear contacts. I never have, and on principle, I never will.

It's an issue of vanity. It used to be people were considered vain for wearing contacts instead of glasses. That's changed now that it's pretty cheap to get and wear contacts, though not cheaper than glasses. I do wear glasses and have for almost 20 years, but I've only recently needed glasses on a daily basis. I should be wearing them now but that would entail finding them. Getting out of my comfy chair an all. I'll combine the effort with my next foray into the kitchen for beer.

When I first got glasses, the eye doctor actually measured my irises and concluded that they're two millimeters larger than average. Wahoo.

Anyway, contacts. Remember in the 80s when colored contacts came out? They were all the rage. Some people proudly proclaimed that they had gotten them, but a lot more people simply wore them in an attempt to make others think that it was their real eye color. Yeah, like my friend John really had teal irises the same color as his girlfriend's prom dress.

Therein lies the point of vanity. At the time people would constantly ask me, "Do you wear contacts?" meaning, do you wear colored contacts? And tons more wouldn't ask but would simply assume that I did. But I didn't. And I don't. My irises really are this color and size. I was born this way.

Most people didn't believe it at the time. I guess I would equate it to someone accusing a guy of stuffing his underwear. One can deny it, claim it's all natural, but in general you must know the accused a lot better before you find out the truth.

Or just go swimming with them. One of the two.

1 comment:

Jamie Willow said...

I had lasik a couple years back and it's the best. good for you. as for pain...they gave me valium so I remember being very happy and very sleepy.