Thursday, August 2, 2007

In a strange land

Just a couple of weeks ago, I referred to myself as a Texan. Then I realized what I said and I was both proud and horrified.

I left Minnesota in November of 1993. I've been in Texas now for 13 years, 9 months.

There's a lot about Minnesota to miss. Mostly, it's the smell. Really. Minnesota is the best-smelling state in the nation. The smell of heat and dirt and wheat in August, of pine after a rainstorm in June, boat motors and lakes in May, the Chinook in March, the first blizzard in December, or November, or October. The fireplaces in September, the wet ground and new grass in April. And the thawing sugar beet dumps...eew. But still a sense-memory, and still something I miss.

Oh, and allmyfriendsandfamily. Them too. Yeah, I miss 'em.

Hope to see you soon, Minnesota. Until then, FRUSTRA LABORANT QUOTQUOT SE CALCULATIONIBUS FATIGANT PRO INVENTIONE QUADRATURAE CIRCULI.

3 comments:

Rank and File said...

After 13 + years in Texas, are you still trying to figure out square dancing?

BeerPup said...

Hey, if you're going to insult my adopted home state, get it right! It's "line dancing."

Square dancing came over from Europe--primarily Scotland--and developed mostly in Appalachia.

BTW, I learned to square dance in Minnesota, in gym class. Square dancing is more likely to be seen in Las Vegas than Texas.

I've never tried line dancing. Only tourists do that ;-)

Rank and File said...

Maybe you are tired of trying to turn something rounded into something more square?:)