Tuesday, May 15, 2007

You want Dewey with that?

These protesters look like librarians to me. Don't know why, but we just recognize each other when we see each other.

I was at a librarian conference in Minneapolis back in 1999, when I was pregnant with Stick Girl. Every kiosk and shop owner and taxi driver could spot us a mile away. I know we're all of a kind, but I didn't know it was THAT bad.

The only thing we all have in common is, is the Voice. It's just necessary, like a newscaster, or something. We need to relay information concisely, and NOT have people ask additional questions, because we're busy, dammit, and there's a line. We could be giving you a line of bull, but we say it in such a voice that you are charmed, and even if you doubt us you dare not question us because we've said it so well, it's got to be true, right?

Imagine your mother's Phone Voice. It's that, times ten.

We all have it. I think it comes with the MLS (Master's in Library Science). Like some kind of supernatural power that's bestowed.

Personality-wise, librarians have many other things in common. We tend to wear practical shoes, have short hair, prefer tea over coffee (NOT me) and cats over dogs but love both, are slightly more liberal in the political area, and have a somewhat higher rate of homosexuality than is reported in the mainstream.

We also love random facts about our profession.

But we've all got the Voice. When I use mine, people believe me.

Which is nice.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Now you got me interested in hearing your voice. I'm too frightened of women in general to actually call you, though.