Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A thank you, and a reminder

This is a letter I wrote that I don't dare send. I wrote it to all the 3rd grade teachers at my kids' school. My daughter is in 3rd grade and I know all the other teachers because I'm their copy mom.

This week was TAKS testing (look it up; I'm to lazy to link for you right now) and this is about that. And stuff. I don't dare send it because it's a little--wordy.

So instead of sending it, I'll just post it here:

--

The reminder is: Tomorrow's Thursday! Get your copies ready!

And since I am genetically unable to be brief, here's a story.

Tuesday night I was at the grocery store--it was an emergency run for Wednesday's snacks--and as I was returning my cart to the cart return, there was a woman in front of me, doing the same. She struggled a little bit, then stopped, looked at her feet, and I swear she fell asleep standing there. Then she saw me and apologized and said, "Such a day. I can't get my feet to move any more," even as she was walking to her car which was right next to mine.

"What school do you teach at?" I asked. It shouldn't be that on a random day in March I can guess someone's profession, but knowing what I know, it was kind of obvious.

We talked for about two minutes. She works at Christie Elementary. I said my kids were at Curtsinger, and she said her kids had gone there, too, so we lived in the same neighborhood.

"I'll follow you home, then!" I said. She must have been really tired because she thought that was really funny.

Meeting that teacher reminded me to say, "Thank YOU!" to all of you ladies.

You worked hard doing all that extra tutoring the last couple of weeks, probably spent your own money on supplies, gave up family and personal time, AND you made it a lot of fun for the kids.

You're amazing. You are all great teachers, and you make a great team.

I could never do your job. Inside of a week, I would be using off-color language in front of the students and letting them have doughnuts and Coke every day for snack. It wouldn't be pretty.

Y'all kick bootie. Next time you doubt yourself, or someone else doubts you and it's got you down, please remember that Zoe's Mom thinks you're great.

No comments: