Friday, November 28, 2008

A Memory: Lola

We'd had a great date. I don't remember if we went anywhere to eat but I don't think so. We'd gone to see a local comedy troupe. It was their Christmas show, but this was an encore performance in early January.

I think we went to a bar; I was underage but for some reason they didn't card me. They should have; I was only 18 and out of my element that night.

We were on the way to his cabin in Northern Wisconsin. It was a two-lane road, lots of hills, and the snow was coming at the windshield like the stars as the Millennium Falcon goes into hyperdrive (which took its F/X from the view of snow coming at a windshield, so this is a paradox comparison).

The song came on the radio. My date sang along, putting my name in where the namesake of the song was, which was mildly disturbing as the namesake in the song is a tranny or she-male or something. That was also the night I first noticed that some versions say "Coca-Cola" and some "cherry cola."

Luckily, "Radar Love" also came on the radio that night. So in terms of "our song," since this relationship really deserved a fucked up "our song," I much prefer "Radar Love" to that other one.

Though I do think of him every time I hear "Lola."

No comments: