Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Carline Special?

I'm going to bitch about the car line.

My daughter is in first grade. For nearly two years, every day, twice a day--I have driven to her school to drop her off and then pick her up. So let's see, 180 days last year, and this year we're at least past day 140, so that's (180+140)2=640. Six Hundred forty times, I've done this.

In order to avoid traffic congestion on certain roads, the school has a specific spot for each grade to drop off and pick up, plus a direction to approach the school from. K-1 from the West, 2-3 from the North, and 4-5 from the East. It takes the new parents a couple of weeks to get it right--particularly the Kindergarten parents, but after that, we've pretty much got it.

The exceptions, of course, are the parents who rarely do the pick-up or drop-off routine. Last year, every Friday there was a guy in a black BMW who would approach from the East and expect to cut in line in front of 20 or 30 other cars that had been waiting for 15 minutes. I hated Black Beemer. Others would do this also. Once someone was going to do it in front of me and I gave the woman the "back off!" hand signal. I was in my crappy old blue car and I was going to hit her if she didn't stop.

But the thing that bugs me lately is the "move forward" signal. All the cars are pulling through a circle drive, and the correct procedure is pretty obvious.

Every morning, though, the parent on duty, does this "move forward" hand signal when the cars at the front begin to pull out of the drive.

Why the FUCK do they do that? Do they think we're confused? Do they think we don't know where to go? Do they think we don't notice that the space in front of us is no longer occupied (because if we didn't notice that, we wouldn't notice their stupid hand signal either. Duh.)?

And in the afternoon, sometimes they make the same stupid movement when there is no where to go. Do they REALLY want me to rear-end the car in front of me?

If I knew the person in front of me in the afternoon was the same person who'd been doing the "move forward" signal at me that morning, you bet I would. And if they're in a black BMW, all the better.

No comments: